Monday, January 23, 2012

Caffine Optimism and a Good Day

Caffeine makes me optimistic about life. Really, it does. Today we visited our favorite coffee shop. I normally don't drink caffeine, but today I said what the hell and got a small tea. Then I came home, and decided to go hiking. Not that pussy kind with trails and shit either. The kind where you and the dog come home muddy and scratched up with sticks in your hair and you are both panting kind of hiking.

Did I mention having 30 acres is awesome? Because it totally is. (Except for the part about the unending spirit crushing maintenance that comes with inheriting a place that has been left to rot for a good number of years)

We saw a good number of wild turkeys in a field, which I did not get close enough to count because I did not want the dog to bananas and chase them. Also, I spotted the dog attempted to murder a gray squirrel, and I stopped to admire two of the three impressive waterfalls on the place. The sun was shining through the trees, and it was warm enough I didn't have to wear a coat, even if I had to wear a full set of thermals.

Then I played fetch in the yard with the dog. Well her version of fetch. Basically we chase each other around the yard like looney's and fight for possession of the bone, which I then dutifully throw for her.

After really exhausting ourselves, I put the dog inside and went and collected some eggs, warm from the nest, and gave both the rabbits and chickens some treats. This, this right here folks, is what life in the country is all about.

It's about getting eggs warm from the nest, and being tired at the end of the day. It's about being able to go out in nature and just be. It's about playing with and petting, and treating your happy healthy animals that come running when they see you. It's about watching a different sunset set every day and breathing in fresh cold air that doesn't smell like exhaust.

This right here is life in the country, and I'm damn proud of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment